conuly: (Default)
[personal profile] conuly
What browser do youse guys use? Why? Now is the time to extoll the virtues of *insert random browser* mihi!

*waits patiently*

Edit: *I* use Firefox. You can still extoll it, in case there are some people on my friends list who use icky IE, but you don't need to extoll it to me :)
Page 3 of 3 << [1] [2] [3] >>

Date: 2005-03-24 08:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] aquamizuko.livejournal.com
I use Safari first, Firefox second. Safari because it's pretty decent and has ad blocking/tabs, and firefox seems slower sometimes..

Date: 2005-03-24 09:03 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fjorab-teke.livejournal.com
I use Firefox because I like my quick link buttons right there where I can see them. I like occasionally opening up new tabs for related websites, just to keep "traffic" down. I like that it integrates SO NICELY with Trillian email link-alerts and doesn't bark at me for access to Yahoo! mail and Hotmail (yeah, the Hotmail account is ancient, so I still use it). It has a good little "Ctrl-F" find bar. I also like that (although my NICE Antibirus guard works amazingly) it does a good job of popup blocking AND being a thwart against popular browser exploits.

I still use IE on occasion for IE-specific things like Yahoo! LAUNCHcast 'net radio. The only thing I really do miss is the more extended Google toolbar I have on IE...with all the extra goodies. Firefox has Google right there too, but not all the extra spiffy stuff.

I don't use any other browsers. Netscape always seemed to stuffy and sluggish for me. I hate AOL with a flaming passion. With others I just don't have much if any experience, so I won't mention them (even if I could remember them :-p).

Date: 2005-03-24 09:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fjorab-teke.livejournal.com
OH!! If anyone can help me with this ONE annoying feature (that I can think of right now)...HOW can I make my Bookmarks menu arrange alphabetically without me manually doing so? I want alphabetical order but don't want to have to do all that blasted manual moving. :-p

Date: 2005-03-24 09:16 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cumaeansibyl.livejournal.com
Go to your "Manage Bookmarks" folder, open up a folder, then right-click one of the icons and hit "Sort by Name." That should do it.

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] fjorab-teke.livejournal.com - Date: 2005-03-24 10:45 pm (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2005-03-24 09:30 pm (UTC)
l33tminion: (Default)
From: [personal profile] l33tminion
Firefox. Tabbed browsing, customization, security, pretty. 'Nuff said.

Date: 2005-03-24 09:47 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ser-kai.livejournal.com
Mmmm... Firefox.

'nuff said

Date: 2005-03-24 09:55 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] joeymew.livejournal.com
Firefox and Netscape. Netscape for email, NC and Neopets, and Firefox for everything else. Occasionally Opera too...

Inceidentally, "firefox" comes up as a spelling error on the right click spellchecking goodness.

Date: 2005-03-24 10:15 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rainbow-goddess.livejournal.com
I use Netscape 7.2.

Date: 2005-03-24 10:24 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lakidaa.livejournal.com
I feel so...backwards. I use IE. still. yeah.

I don't like tabs. I like separate instances. I've never had any problems, ever with IE. It's very plain, and does what it does well. I even found an auto-refresh bar-dealie. tis awesomea.

*hides*

Date: 2005-03-24 10:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] lakidaa.livejournal.com
o____o

I know. thing is, I'm not in charge of my own computer. If something goes wrong, I'm at the mercy of my Dad. Who insists that he must futz with everything.

*sigh*

Worst part is, I want to 'try it out' on someone else's computer. And I have no-one that has it.

I don't even know what it loks like on the screen!

*weeps*

(no subject)

From: [identity profile] lakidaa.livejournal.com - Date: 2005-03-25 07:29 am (UTC) - Expand

Date: 2005-03-24 10:34 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] ladytalon.livejournal.com
Heyyy. I keep meaning to ask. Why the heck does everyone go on and on about tabbed browsing so much? I can't fathom it. Is there some command (like alt-tab) to switch between the windows? I don't use my mouse unless I absolutely have to, so the thought of using it to switch my windows is irritating. I'm probably missing something.

I suppose it doesn't matter too much; I never have more than four browser windows open at once, anyhow, and usually only two. I have a very short attention span, get confused when there's too much going on.

Oh, but I do use Firefox, on my PCs. I use Safari on my Macs, though I keep meaning to download that one other browser.. Camino, I think? Ultimately, I consider it silly how passionate people get about their browsers. It's a window, man. I want it to be convenient, sure, but there's only so much I need it to do. It's like people who get so stuck up about Mac vs. PC. Why bother getting one's panties in a twist? I play both sides and it rules. ^_~

Date: 2005-03-25 07:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] eofs.livejournal.com
When I was writing an essay the other day I had about 20 tabs open in one window and up to a dozen (it varied, this was my 'working' window) in a second. Tabbed browsing is definitely my friend. Plus my attention span is so short that I need to multitask at least three things at once or I get horribly bored.

Date: 2005-03-25 06:07 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mhari.livejournal.com
Firefox. Plus, lately, Explorer for things like posting in secondary LJs.

I haven't used Netscape in years, and I never could like Opera because, believe it or not, I don't like tabbed browsing.

Date: 2005-03-25 03:27 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mhari.livejournal.com
I think it's partly because I think of separate webpages as separate tasks. I don't WANT a Cohesive Browser Experience because I will just get confused.

But Firefox doesn't make me use tabs if I don't wanna. XD I heart my Firefox.

Date: 2005-03-25 09:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] wodhaund.livejournal.com
Firefox is happy. :D

Date: 2005-03-25 10:17 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] demonkoala.livejournal.com
Opera. All know how bad IE is, and I liked tabs on Opera much more in comparisson to Firefox.

Date: 2005-03-25 11:17 am (UTC)
deceptica: (Default)
From: [personal profile] deceptica
I use IE, ha! It's funny how that makes me stand out of the crowd in this case.

I just don't like change for the sake of changing things, and IE has never given me a reason to want anything else since it works fine for me.

Date: 2005-03-25 01:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] phoenixdreaming.livejournal.com
I use Opera and, having compared it to Firefox and IE, find it suits me best. Unlike Firefox, you can customise almost every aspect of it straight from the start. The only add-ons I've needed to download were skins (I always use some version of Breeze, because I want maximum screenspace; I'm currently using an ad-supported version of Opera and have more screenspace than I do using Firefox or IE).

This is a good introduction (http://tntluoma.com/opera/lover/7/) to Opera. It's more than a bit outdated, I think, but, then again, I've been using beta versions for months (currently using 8.0; I think I'm a beta or two behind) and the current official version is 7.54.

Things I love most about Opera:
-- Easy to customise almost every aspect of it. (More on doing so at NonTroppo's wiki (http://nontroppo.org/wiki/Opera7), and that page links to an Opera8 wiki that makes me want to upgrade my current installation.) Customise the entire interface -- I have all of the commands and buttons I use regularly stored on the interface, and usually have custom searches set up (though not currently).

-- RSS. It heeds my LJ cookies, so I can read my friends page through the RSS interface without having to mess around with auth=digest and so on. (I know it doesn't immediately sound like a great advantage to be able to read a friends page by RSS in a browser instead of through HTML in a browser, but it is. Part of this entry explains (http://www.livejournal.com/users/phoenixdreaming/205539.html) a bit.)

-- Good for people on dial-up or slow connections. What killed Firefox for me (other than the way it's only reliable for me when no extensions are installed, which makes it unusable since I like my gadgetry, and the shoddy interface)was that it didn't work as an offline browser, no matter what I set the cache to. When I'm on dial-up I'm time-limited, and /need/ to be able to view visited sites offline. Additionally, its image-disabling option is all or nothing; in Opera, I set image loading to 'cached only' when browsing image heavy websites that don't require me to view the images but where I like to be able to view some of them. Then I can load images selectively.

Date: 2005-03-25 02:20 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] drapery.livejournal.com
I use both Firefox and Netscape. Since the Mozilla/Netscape gods have converted me, I can't stand browsers that don't have tabbed browsing.
Page 3 of 3 << [1] [2] [3] >>

Profile

conuly: (Default)
conuly

August 2026

S M T W T F S
       1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 1819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 18th, 2026 01:08 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios